Skip to content

Adult social care complaints procedure

Frequently asked questions

How do I complain about care from an independent provider?

If your care is provided by an independent provider, for example, a care agency or private residential home, but it is commissioned by Adult Social Care Services you should follow this procedure. When we receive your complaint we will agree a way forward with you. This may include a Customer Relations Team officer, or the manager responsible for commissioning the service, contacting the provider to ask them to look into your concerns. We expect the provider to take your concerns seriously and respond detailing any action they intend to take to ensure improvements are made.

If you arrange your own care privately you should complain to the service directly or to the Local Government Ombudsman.

How do I complain about care purchased with direct payments?

If you are unhappy with any aspect of your direct payments – for example, you believe your assessment of need is incorrect or you been denied direct payments – contact the Social Care Customer Relations Team. We will talk to you about your concerns and agree a way forward.

If you have a complaint about the service you have purchased, you will need to speak directly with the service provider or employee. You can also complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

Complaints should be made within 12 months of the incident, or within 12 months of you realising that there is a problem. We can sometimes extend this if circumstances show it would have been difficult for the complaint to have been made earlier, as long as it is still possible to investigate the facts of the case.

How do I complain about other DCC services?

Please see our main feedback and complaints page.

Who else can I talk to?

If you remain unhappy with our final response you can refer your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Phone: 0300 061 0614
Write: The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH

If you need help making a complaint, or would like an advocate to support you, contact your local Age UK or Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates health and adult social care services in England. They do not deal with individual complaints, but you can contact them if you have a concern about your care or want to share a good experience.

Phone: 0300 061 6161
Write to: Care Quality Commission, St Nicholas Building, St Nicholas Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 1NB