Skip to content

Financial assessment and paying for community care services

What information do you need for a financial assessment?

We will contact you to work out how much you have to pay towards your care services. We will ask about:

  • your weekly income as detailed in the Care Act – for example, pension income and majority of state benefits and any other income
  • your capital as detailed in the Care Act (savings or investments) – for example, money in the bank, stocks and shares, investment bonds and policies, premium bonds, income bonds and any other savings or investments. This includes property or land you solely or jointly own – this doesn’t include the house you live in
  • your housing costs, this includes your rent or mortgage, council tax, household insurance and service charges
  • disability-related expenses – these are expenses you may incur as a result of your illness or disability that you would not incur otherwise, such as community alarm service or a person who is at risk of falls. It may also be a situation where you incur higher expenses for a service or product due to your illness or disability such as higher than average utility costs due to limited mobility Please note this only applies to those in receipt of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) care component
  • joint income you receive will be divided equally
  • jointly held capital, savings and investments will be divided equally

See image below for information about how your charges are calculated.

Your calculated weekly charge

Please note: If you do not want to give us your financial details, you will have to pay the full cost of any care services you receive arranged through DCC.

If we identify that you may be entitled to additional benefits, we will advise you of this and provide information and contact details of who can assist you, if needed.