Skip to content

Paying for care

Independent financial advice

This information is for anyone thinking about how they will pay for their social care now and in the future, whether you have to pay for your own care or those who are eligible for financial support from Devon social care services.

We recommend that you get independent financial advice on the best way to pay for your care. There are many different charities and organisations offering free and fee-based financial advice.

Money Saving Expert has useful advice on what a financial adviser is, whether you need to use one, what questions you should ask and how much it may cost.

General financial advice

Unbiased is a website that allows you to search for regulated independent financial advisers, mortgage brokers, solicitors or accountants in your area. There is also information on savings, investments, insurance and property.

You can also search for local independent financial advisers, mortgage brokers, solicitors or accountants on VouchedFor which contains profiles of professionals and verified reviews of their services.

Age UK has detailed information on paying for care at home and information on paying for residential or nursing care. You can also ask for printed copies of this information from your local Age UK centre.

Specialist social care financial advice

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) helps older people access good quality financial advice from trusted financial advisers. A later life adviser can offer specialist advice about paying for care and understanding the options available to you.

Help with money matters

Welfare benefits

Check that you are receiving everything you are entitled to.

Use the government’s online benefits calculators to see what you are entitled to or visit your local Jobcentre Plus.

Citizens Advice has detailed national information on all available welfare benefits. Find your local Citizens Advice office or phone the Devon Adviceline on 0344 411 1444 for general advice about benefits and help with filling out forms. Visit

Age UK has a range of useful factsheets and an online benefits calculator.

StepChange is a charity that offers free support and advice. Their benefits checker can help you find out what benefits you may be entitled to.

Council Tax and housing benefits

Housing benefit and Council Tax benefit schemes are run by district councils.