Skip to content

Support for adults

What does Adult Social Care do?

We work with adults in Devon for whom activities of daily living (because of illness, older age, or a disability) can be difficult. We work with people to live as independently as possible, for as long as possible.

We look at the positive aspects of your lives, self-care, and support you to gain or retain your independence and live the best life that you can.

Sometimes, we work to protect those who are at risk of harm from others or themselves. This is called safeguarding.

We always look at what you can do, your support from family/neighbours/friends, and your wider community, including the voluntary sector.

There are specific areas we will look at with you

These include:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition
  • maintaining personal hygiene
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed
  • being able to make use of the home safely
  • maintaining a habitable home environment
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education, or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child

If you would like to discuss with us about remaining independent in your own home, talk to us via Care Direct on 0345 155 1007 or email to discuss your needs.

We start off by having a conversation

  • We listen and provide advice and guidance to help you decide what you need and want.
  • We look at what resources you have already got in your life – and support you to consider how to build on these resources, to improve your life.
  • We look at what simple solutions are available – these might be, for example, different types of equipment/technology to support you at home or in your community.

For some people, we may look at some short-term support to either support you to regain your abilities after a period of illness or to learn new skills to improve your independence.


Where there are more complex, longer-term needs, we can look at a more in-depth conversation called an assessment.

From the assessment conversation, we might need to provide support where your needs come from or are related to, a physical or mental disability or illness and as a result of your needs, you are unable to achieve two or more specific activities.

As a result, there is or is likely to be, a significant impact on your life.

More information about care needs assessments.

During an assessment conversation, we will talk to you about your needs and how they impact on your life. We talk about what you want to be able to do, to improve your life.

We might involve other people in the conversation, such as carers, a GP or nurse, your friends.

We will respond to you as quickly as we can, based on urgency, risk, and needs.

Where care and support services are needed, we will do a financial assessment with you. You will usually be asked to make a financial contribution towards the cost of your care.

This cost is always backdated from day one of the service starting.

Ongoing care

Where there are ongoing services being provided, we have a review conversation with:

  • you
  • the providers of your services
  • anyone else who is relevant

about how things are going.

Support for carers

If you have someone who helps you to remain independent and they need support or someone to talk to about their role, give Devon Carers a call on 03456 434 435.

More support

  • Independent Living Centre: advice about equipment and adaptations: 01392 380181
  • Department for Work and Pensions: 01392 474700
  • Safeguarding adult concerns: 0345 155 1007
  • Domestic Abuse helpline: 0345 155 1074
  • The Samaritans: 116 123
  • Housing/homelessness: (call your local district council)
  • Together Drug and Alcohol Service: 0800 233 5444
  • Depression and anxiety service (TalkWorks): 0300 555 3344
  • Adults (18-65+) mental health support: (call your local health centre)
  • Sexual health support: (your local health centre)
  • Age UK: 0800 678 1602
  • NHS 111: If you need medical help but it is not an emergency
  • NHS Devon Dental Helpline (where to find an NHS dentist, and how to access dental care in an emergency): 03330 063 300
  • Devon Advocacy Consortium (free and independent advocacy services): 0845 231 1900
  • SSAFA (helping veterans, service personnel, and their families): 01392 254 611

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep