Skip to content

Independent living

Money management


Is a list of all the money you receive and all the things you spend money on every month.

Making a budget is the first step towards taking control of your finances and getting your situation back on track. Budgeting helps you to see where your money is going, so it’s easier to make sure that you’ve covered all of the things you need to pay for. Budgeting advice from Step Change


Have a look at our benefits page with useful information.

From Child to Adult – Disability, transition and family finance

As young disabled people turn 16, 17, 18 or 19, they become entitled to benefits and support in their own right. Their entitlement may depend on whether they are still in education, job seeking or claiming benefits. Parents’ and carers’ benefits and tax credits will depend not only on the student or employment status of the young person but also on what benefits the young person is claiming. Benefits and tax credits are complex. The following is a general guide to help families and young people.

Debt support

Step change has got lots of practical debt information and advice on money and budgeting, plus useful tips on boosting your income, saving for a rainy day and how to keep in control of your finances.

We’re here to help with a range of debt calculators and tools – all available online so you can get the support and advice you need, when you need it.

If you are struggling with bills or worried about debt you don’t need to struggle alone. You can get advice from Citizens Advice online, over the phone, or by contacting your local Citizens Advice office.

Money management for people with disabilities

Dosh is a financial advocacy service that supports people with a learning disability to be more independent and have more control over their finances. Dosh also provides some useful resources.

The Money Advice Service contains a whole range of information about if you become ill or disabled as well as Money saving tips and discounts for disabled people.

Scope also provide information and advice about managing money.

You might also want to look at this easy read booklet called ‘Help looking after your money’ and visit the Money Advice Service budgeting and managing money webpages.

Mental health and money issues

Rethink Mental Illness provides support and information for people living with mental health conditions. Visit their website (which has a section on mental health and money issues).

MIND also provide information on money and mental health.

Money issues for people with a learning disability

Mencap is a national charity for people with a learning disability. Visit their website (which includes information about money issues for people with a learning disability and their families) or call them on 0808 808 1111.

Cost of Living support

For help, advice and support with cost of living 

Major adaptations to your home

These could include a stair lift, wide doorway, adapting bathrooms or kitchens. The work may be funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant administered through your local district council, or provided on the recommendation of an occupational therapist (OT).

The Adapt My Home website allows you to check how well your home supports your needs, and whether you could benefit from some adaptations to help you stay safe and independent.

VAT exemption

If you are registered as disabled, you will be exempt from paying VAT on works done to adapt your home or equipment purchased specifically to meet your disability needs. More information is available at GOV.UK