Skip to content

Support for adults

Paying for care

Most people have to pay something towards the cost of their care and support services depending on the outcome of a financial assessment. This is a proportionate and fair assessment of your financial circumstances which won’t charge you more than you can afford to pay.

More information about financial assessments can be found in our factsheets on paying for residential and nursing care and paying for care at home.

How much will I have to pay?

An upper capital limit and a lower capital limit exist to determine how much you will have to contribute to the cost of your care and support.

If you have savings and investments over the upper capital limit you will have to pay the full cost of any care services you receive. The upper capital limit is £23,250.

If the level of your savings and investments is below the lower capital limit you are not required to contribute from these savings and investments, instead, you will only contribute from your income. The lower capital limit is £14,250.

Savings and investments between the lower and upper capital limits will have a tariff income applied of £1 per week for every £250 (or part of). For example, savings and investments of £16,500 will attract a tariff of £9 per week (£16,500 – £14,250 ÷ £250 = £9).

If you choose not to give us details about your finances you will have to pay the full cost of any care services you receive.

In some circumstances, you will not need to have a financial assessment and you won’t have to pay towards your care and support.

You will not have to pay if you:

  • receive support from Intermediate Care or Reablement Services, for example, if you have a short period of care to help you after a stay in hospital
  • are receiving care and support under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 2007
  • are receiving care and support under Continuing Health Care (CHC) funding by the NHS
  • have needs that can be met by equipment or a minor adaptation, to help you to continue living at home


A privacy notice is available to explain the processing of personal data that takes place by the Charging for Care Team.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep