Skip to content

Support for adults

Sheltered housing and housing associations

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing may suit you if you are an older person wanting to live independently, but with security and the opportunity to socialise and get involved with leisure activities when you choose.

In Devon, the district councils are responsible for sheltered housing schemes and should be contacted for more information.

The accommodation is generally self-contained flats or bungalows. There is usually a call system in case you get into difficulties and a warden who calls or sometimes lives on the premises.

Some properties can be purchased so you still own your own property but have the additional reassurance of support and company.

Housing associations

Housing associations offer non-profit making social housing. They can be large national providers or small local providers of accommodation. Some develop schemes specifically for certain groups of people, such as people with a learning disability or older people.

If you want to find out more about housing association schemes in your area, contact your local district council.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep