Our everyday lifestyle means sometimes we are sitting for long periods, whether that’s using a computer or tablet, driving to work or relaxing and watching the TV at home.
It’s good for our health to break up our sitting time – take a look at our video clip to find out more:
How long do you sit for?
Try our sitting calculator – it can be surprising how long we sit for each day and how soon it adds up!
Tips for moving more
There are some easy things you can do and the good news is everyone can benefit – you don’t have to be sporty to move more. Try these small steps:
- Take a walk in your lunch break
- Stand instead of sitting when you can – try short periods in meetings, at your desk or while on the phone
- Walk over to a colleague instead of emailing or phoning
- Stretch in your chair every half hour
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Move more on the way to work – leave your car at home or drive part of your journey and walk or cycle the rest visit – visit Travel Devon for tips
- Find out if your employer offers a cycle to work scheme where you can save on the cost of a new bike
- Turn up the music and have a dance
- While watching TV, stand up and have a stretch in advert breaks
- Be active with the housework – you can get a good workout sweeping, gardening or washing windows
- Try balancing or stretching while you brush your teeth or watch TV
- Go for a walk with a friend – Devon is a great place to be active outdoors
What you can do next
Download our infographic to remind yourself to move more during your day!
Some useful websites to help you to get more active:
- Get Active Devon – directory of local activities
- Travel Devon – information on cycling and walking
- Explore Devon – getting out and about in Devon
- Active Devon – providing local opportunities to be active
Can you help others to move more?
Policy makers or commissioners
- Be aware of the importance of reducing sedentary behaviours – see our literature review for more information
- Include approaches to reduce sedentary behaviour in policies and strategies
- Support a culture change where moving more in everyday life is the norm
- If you work with individuals, you can make a difference! Help them assess how sedentary they are by trying the sitting calculator
- Help people find easy ways to break up their sitting time