As educators we are in the privileged position of having influence and making change happen so that we help make a better future for all. Please get in touch for training requests, workshops with pupils and support in planning for an anti-racist, inclusive curriculum. As Devon is a county with less diverse culture we have an even bigger job in debunking racist myths and ensuring all ethnically diverse children recognise and value themselves within their school environment. To start your journey towards racial literacy read:
- Race and Racism in English Secondary Schools ( Runnymede, 2020) and;
- NEU Framework for Developing an Anti-Racist Approach
We also highly recommend:
- Chris Gaine’s We’re all White, Thanks (Trentham Books,2012)
You can now view and download our new Bullying, prejudice and racism incident resource, which has information on preventing, reporting and supporting. We are seeing an increase in reports which is good news as it means Devon schools take hate incidents seriously. Please complete submit your report of racism through the online platform:
One Minute Guides
- One Minute Guide – Supporting Russian Pupils (addressing racism towards Russian pupils in Devon schools)
- One Minute Guide – BPRI advice for parents and guardians
- One Minute Guide – BPRI myths and misconceptions
- One Minute Guide – Introduction to BPRIs
Much clearer anti-racism policies are needed to institutionally embed a culture of anti-racism in schools. Please get in touch to review your race equality policy to ensure that black, Asian and minority ethnic students are not systematically disadvantaged.
Black History Month – October
We believe that Black History Month (BHM) should be threaded into the curriculum and be part of our everyday educational provision but BHM is a good starting point for schools who want to challenge racism. We will be posting resources and links to activities to help you promote and celebrate black history.
Anti-racism training in Devon
Devon has a wealth of training opportunities and workshops available to pupils!
Please get in touch to discuss what workshops we have available.
We have a range of workshops celebrating diversity available, these are delivered by our very talented team of multilingual, multicultural teachers. See also Celebrating diversity.
Our colleagues at Devon Development Education offer a wealth of workshops for schools on Cultural Champions, Telling Our Stories and much, much more!
Other useful links and resources
- Diversity and Citizenship in the Curriculum – DfES Research Review
- Everyday racism for GRT Families – Goldsmiths University for GATE Hertfordshire
- The Guardian – November 2018: Racist bullying – article
- Educate Against the Hate – teaching resources
- Telling our stories – multicultural history of Devon – schools resources
- Healing a Divided Britain: the need for a comprehensive race strategy – Equality and Human Rights Commission
- KS2 PSHE/Geography – Anti-racism lesson plan
- KS2+ Anti-racist activity: GRT – Anti-racism lesson plan