We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
Education of children in care – Devon Virtual School
Our aim is to do all we can to ensure all children in care to Devon enjoy their education, have access to the highest quality education provision and gain their best possible outcomes.
Although we are not a real school with buildings and classrooms, the Virtual School works as any school to provide support and interventions to help each child achieve their best and thrive on their educational journey.
We work with our young people, designated teachers in schools, social workers, carers, families and other professionals to ensure high aspirations and targeted support is the shared goal of everyone involved with the young person.
- training for school staff, carers and social workers
- support for children and young people in care to Devon to achieve their best in school
- additional tuition where gaps are identified
- support for children, schools and carers at transition points in the education journey eg. moving from year 6 to 7
- advice and guidance for schools and families/carers of previously looked after and adopted children and those under Special Guardianship Orders (SGOs)
- each child with a high quality Personal Education Plan (PEP) which is a central record of their educational achievement and progress, including clear targets for improvement while capturing the young person’s voice
- summer holiday activities for our children in care
- an area learning advocate for every child in care to get the best education offer possible
- a smooth, supported transition and admission to school
We aim to
|Promote||High aspirations and excellent educational outcomes|
|Support||Children and young people, carers, schools and settings|
|Challenge||Anyone who does not deliver on our aspirations|
|Celebrate||All our successes|
Virtual School prospectus
To learn more about what we do, how we do it and how it can benefit you, check out the Virtual School prospectus.
- The Annual Designated Teachers’ Conference 2021 will be taking place on 15 October.
- Summer Holiday Outdoor Activities 2021 (programme tbc April 2021)
- Art Programme 2021 (programme tbc April 2021)
- Urgent letter regarding Children in Care during school closures. Please also view guidance on talking to children about coronavirus (19.3.2020)
Virtual School newsletters
We have also started producing a half-termly newsletter and all editions published so far can be found at Virtual School newsletters.
Find out more about the Virtual School, how it works, why it’s important and how we support children in care and care leavers
Information, advice and key guidance
Key documents and guidance on working together to support the education of children in care
The Virtual School monitors the educational outcomes for all children in care
Information and guidance for schools and other providers about the needs of adopted children