Public Health Devon are committed to supporting initiatives that provide ‘Better Mental Health for All’ across the County. We are keen to upskill communities by funding evidence-based training that helps to encourage conversation about mental health and wellbeing. Including an emphasis on looking after our own mental wellbeing, to better support others. These courses are currently available to attend free of charge.
For more information about any of these Devon County Council Public Health Training Offers, please contact email@example.com
Connect 5 training aims to improve population mental wellbeing by changing the way we have conversations about mental health & wellbeing. It is open to a wide range of non-specialist staff, volunteers and others supporting their community who work with, or have contact with, people at risk of poor mental wellbeing.
Training provides participants with:
- Tools & techniques to improve mental wellbeing that can be applied within your own everyday life and within your working practice
- Knowledge, skills and confidence to have more effective conversations about mental health and wellbeing
- Information on where to find trustworthy resources and local opportunities to help improve mental wellbeing
It is delivered across 3 x 3.5 hour modules. People can attend one, two or all three modules depending on need.
Suicide Prevention and Emotional Resilience
Two training modules are available, each approximately 3 hours long delivered online:
- Community Suicide awareness – understanding myths, stigma and barriers and how we can challenge these, as well as prevention of suicide and the importance of compassion
- Emotional resilience – this self-care course increases participants ability to cope with emotional distress, or stressful life events by knowing more about wellbeing, emotions, and how to build our resilience
These training offers are suitable for all workforces and individuals who may work or come into contact with people dealing with mental health difficulties, who self-harm, are experiencing suicidal thoughts, or have attempted suicide
The courses have been developed by 4 Mental Health, an organisation that has years of experience of delivering suicide prevention training safely online, and the courses are being delivered by local trainers.
Understanding Grief and Bereavement
Pete’s Dragons are a Devon based charity who deliver suicide bereavement support across the county. They provide 2 training modules:
- Understanding Grief and Bereavement (3 hours)
- optional module specifically about bereavement from suicide (2 hours)
Both modules are currently delivered on-line and are available to anyone who is in contact with people who may be experiencing grief and bereavement (including from suicide).