The Department for Education (DfE) have recently issued some guidance on data sharing, privacy notices and data subjects rights. The DfE guidance notes below provide further detail, including guidance on the content of privacy notices.
Please note that it is not necessary to re-issue privacy notices to pupils or staff who have already received them. However, please be aware that any hard copies available in public places, for example, notice boards should be kept up to date. The privacy notices below must be issued to all new pupils and staff as soon as possible. The Department for Education recommend that best practice would be to remind parents of the notices at the start of each term (within any other announcements/correspondence to parents).
If there are any changes to the way the school processes personal data then these changes need to be highlighted to parents/pupils.
- GDPR and the collection of pupil characteristics from parents / guardians or pupils
- Department for Education guidance on data sharing, privacy notices and data security
- Privacy notice for pupils – updated Dec 2018
- Privacy notice for school staff – updated Dec 2018
- Privacy notice for staff employed centrally who work in schools – updated May 2018
- Privacy notice for school governors – Dec 2018
- What the LA does with your data – updated May 2018
- Who the DfE passes pupil data to
- What the Department does with School workforce data
- *S11/1 Data collection on admission to school: Pupil information, S11/2 data collection on admission to school:contacts.
*The S11 admission form is a sample form which captures information required for the school census and other information that might be relevant to schools. It is not a mandatory form that schools must use, schools can produce their own admission form, or amend the sample form as they consider necessary.
The Department for Education have produced guidance to support schools with data protection including compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). A toolkit for schools is available via the below link: