Skip to content

Administration and finance


The Insurance Section is responsible for ensuring that the Council’s exposure to financial loss is adequately covered by insurance. The Section currently arranges insurance for the work undertaken by the Council’s staff, property portfolio and motor fleet.

For DCC maintained schools (not academies)

Summary of insurance

Employers liability certificate

Public liability insurance

Please note there is no certificate but the details are as follows:

  • Insurer: QBE
  • Renewal date: 1 January
  • Cover: £50 million for any one incident
  • Policy number: Y083736QBE0123A

Insurance for hirers/external suppliers

Please note that external suppliers/contractors utilised by the school and anyone who is hiring the school premises will need to have their own public liability insurance. The minimum level required is £5 million and the school are responsible for checking this.

School journey insurance

Motor insurance

The driver will need to complete an incident report form and send to:

Safety Compliance and Fleet Team,
TCS, Matford Lane Offices
County Hall
Topsham Road

If the accident involves a third party, please ensure that the relevant details are obtained including the third party’s name, address, vehicle make and registration number and insurance details if known.

The third party may request details of our motor insurers which are as follows:

Insurer: QBE
Policy Number: Y083796FLT0123A
Claims handlers:
Gallagher Bassett
Wentworth House
Turnberry Park Road
LS27 7LE

Telephone: 01786 455800 or 0113 246 2050
Please view the Motor accident procedure for further advice.

Property insurance

DCC maintained schools are insured under a block policy with Zurich Municipal. Education buildings are insured for the full cost of reinstatement against the perils of fire, lightning, explosion, aircraft, storm, flood, burst pipes, impact, sprinkler leakage and subsidence.

Cover for contents, however, is restricted to the perils of fire, lightning, explosion and aircraft.
However, schools have the option to take out additional cover for contents direct, should they wish, using their delegated budgets to pay the premium. Specialist local authority insurers, such as Zurich Municipal, will provide cover but schools are free to approach any broker or company they wish.

Aided schools are separately insured as they are owned by trustees rather than the Local Authority. Academy schools are also insured separately.

Claims against the Council

Claims against the Council – If you receive a letter of claim in connection with an incident that has occurred at your school, it is vital that you act promptly as there are strict deadlines to which the Council must adhere to. Please scan the correspondence and email it to If you are unable to scan, please post to:

Insurance Section, Room G16,
County Hall,
Topsham Road,
Exeter, EX2 4QD

We will acknowledge the correspondence and notify our insurers. Our insurers will subsequently require a report of the incident so It would be useful if you could start to collate any relevant documents regarding the incident, including a copy of the accident book, witness statements, risk assessments, etc.

In some instances, our insurers may appoint a firm of loss adjustors, Sterling UK Ltd, to carry out further enquiries with you. If you are contacted by Sterling please note that they act on our behalf and it will, therefore, be in order for you to provide them with any assistance or documentation they might need.

If the claim processes to court, our nominated solicitors will take over conduct of the matter, so you may have contact with them.

Useful contacts

General Enquiries:
Emily Wilkins – Corporate Insurance Manager – 01392 383136
Jane Mason – Corporate Insurance Officer – 01392 382292
Robert Carter – Corporate Insurance Officer – 01392 385355