Skip to content

Financial assessment and paying for community care services

What information do you need for a financial assessment?

To work out how much you have to pay toward your care services we will contact you to arrange an appointment to undertake your financial assessment via Microsoft Teams. If this is not possible we will undertake the assessment over the telephone. We will ask you about:

  • your weekly income as detailed in The Care Act – e.g. Pension income and majority of state benefits and any other income.
  • your capital as detailed in The Care Act (savings/ investments) – e.g. money in the bank, stocks and shares, investment bonds and policies, premium bonds, income bonds and any other savings/ investments. This includes property or land you solely or jointly own – this doesn’t include the house you live in.
  • your housing costs, this includes your rent or mortgage, council tax, household insurance and service charges.
  • If you are receiving Attendance Allowance (AA), Disability Living Allowance Care Component (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), we can offset expenses you incur directly as a result of your illness or disability. e.g. a private cleaner, excessive gas, electric and oil costs or a community alarm system. You must be able to provide evidence of these costs.
  • joint income you receive will be divided equally.
  • jointly held capital, savings and investments will be divided equally.

See image below on how your charges are calculated.

Your calculated weekly charge

Please note: If you do not want to give us your financial details, you will have to pay the full cost of any care services you receive arranged through DCC.

If we identify that you may be entitled to additional benefits, we will advise you of this and provide information and contact details of who can assist you, if needed.