Skip to content

Mental health

Support for young people

If you are under 18 with a mental health problem there are specific services that can help you.

Your GP
Book an appointment to speak to your GP. They can help to diagnose a mental health problem, prescribe medication if suitable and refer you to local support services.

Your GP may want to refer you to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). If you see a CAMHS professional they will do an assessment to understand your difficulties and work out a plan to help you.

If you need to talk to someone you can make a free and confidential call on 0800 1111 at any time. You can also search the website for information about getting help and support and you can contact Childline by email, on message boards or through live chat.

YoungMinds has information about looking after yourself, getting help and managing a mental health problem.

Young carers
Young carers have a lot of responsibility at a very young age; dealing with situations that many adults would find a challenge. They have to cope in difficult circumstances, often not only looking after their relative but also helping to bring up siblings and run a household. If you are, or you know, a young person in a caring role and this is affecting your emotional wellbeing and mental health get help from Devon Young Carers. Visit or phone 0345 643 4435.