Skip to content


Breaks for carers

How do I get a break from my caring role?

Breaks and replacement care

Replacement care is a service provided to the person you care for to allow you to take a break. This could be a service at home, or sometimes elsewhere.

Although replacement care may be put in place so that you can have a rest, there may be a charge to the person you care for following a financial assessment.

Eligibility for breaks

You must have a carers assessment, usually a carer ‘health and wellbeing check’, which will look at your needs as a carer. To request an assessment phone 0345 643 4435.

If your assessment shows that your eligible needs would be best met by a break involving replacement care, then the person you care for will need to have a care needs and financial assessment and agree to pay any charges. However, your eligibility as a carer doesn’t depend on this and we may still be able to help you.

Organising your own breaks

If you are happy to organise and pay for your own breaks you can use Pinpoint to find care for the person you support.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep