A ROVI (Rehabilitation Officer Visual Impairment) is trained and qualified to work with people who have significant visual impairment. To speak to a ROVI contact the Devon Sensory Team by phoning Adult Social Care on 0345 1551 007.
ROVIs can carry out assessments to discuss difficulties or needs and identify solutions to help you to stay at home and be as independent as possible. They can give advice on:
- leisure activities like hobbies, games and sports
- daily tasks such as cooking, making hot drinks, weighing and measuring
- overcoming the problem of disorientation which can occur with poor sight
specialist aids and equipment, such as adapted phones.
ROVIs can help you learn new skills to offset the effects of visual impairment. They can teach you to:
- follow a sighted guide, or use a mobility aid such as a white cane
- use a variety of communication skills such as Braille and specialised computer software
- learn new skills to be able to carry out everyday tasks
- make the best use of any remaining sight you may have by using magnification, correct lighting and colour contrast.
ROVIs can also:
- assess your eligibility for specialist aids and equipment
- adapt household equipment such as cookers and washing machines with tactile markings and advise on using them safely
- complete your registration if an ophthalmologist has confirmed that you have a visual condition which qualifies as sight impaired or severely sight impaired
- work with colleagues or voluntary organisations
- provide informal counselling, guidance and support.
ROVIs can signpost to:
- employment and training
- information on benefits
- housing-related services
- organisations providing support and equipment
- local and national resources.
BT Free Directory Enquiries
To register for BT free Directory Enquiries call 195 and ask for the registration department.
BT Talking Telephone Bills
To arrange for your bill to be read over the phone before being posted to you call 150. BT can also send your bill in large print or Braille.
Exeter Society for the Blind
Tel: 0300 330 9256 or 020 7520 0972
Textphone: 0300 330 9256 or 020 7520 0972
Email: email@example.com or visit www.sense.org.uk
SENSE is an organisation for children and adults who are deafblind. They also support people with a sight or hearing impairment and additional disabilities.