Skip to content


Arranging your own care

I want care through social care services

Do you face challenges in your life? Or do you need advice for a family member?

If you are eligible for services, we’ll work together to create a care plan detailing your needs and how to meet them.

If you have been assessed as needing care in your home, then when we discuss your support plan.

Once you have a support plan we will do a financial assessment to look at the amount you will need to pay for your services. You can then choose to have services directly and pay us for them, or have direct payments and organise your own services.

We have a number of services available namely:

The majority of providers offering care and support, on our behalf, are registered with the Care Quality Commission. This means they are inspected to ensure you receive the highest possible standard of care.

The most suitable person for you

Personal care is a very sensitive and private matter, right down to the care worker who provides it. We appreciate that some people have a preference as to the gender or other attributes of their care worker.

Like other health services, we will always do our best to meet your preference(s), however, we cannot guarantee that will always be the case. In these circumstances, if we cannot agree on a support offer with you it could affect either the provider’s ability to support you safely at home or our ability to guarantee an alternative offer. Once again, we ask that you are as flexible as possible when agreeing your support.

Dignity and respect

We always expect the providers we work with and their staff to treat you with dignity and respect. We also expect you to give the same respect to the staff members that support you.

Hostile or threatening behavior towards staff could result in your care and support being withdrawn by that provider, and an alternative provider may not be available to take over your care and support.

Delivery of services

Providers will always try to visit you at the time that has been agreed. Due to circumstances beyond their control, such as unforeseen emergencies or travel delays, their staff may be delayed in getting to you. If your visit is going to be delayed for more than 30 minutes, you will be notified by either the care agency or staff member.

Paying for care

Most people who receive care and support, regardless of whether it is managed by Social Care or not, will have to pay something towards the cost of that care and support. If you are assessed as needing care and support, we will then assess how much you need to pay towards the care. You can find out more at Paying for care.

What if I have a problem with my services?

If you are not satisfied with the care given, please talk to your provider in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with their response, please contact us and we will direct your concern to the most appropriate person. You can also share your experience with the Care Quality Commission.

Reporting a concern

If you report a safeguarding concern you will be listened to, supported, and involved in any decisions. If you think that you or someone you know is being abused or neglected, you should report your concernIn an emergency always call 999.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find equipment solutions to stay active, safe and independent.

Independent Living Centre