We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
School Census bulletin 2 – Autumn 2020
DfE School Census Date: Thurs 1 October 2020 Return Date: Tues 6 October 2020
1. DfE Known Issue
1601Q please check pupil’s age is out of range for school type
The DfE have acknowledged there is a problem with their coding in that it is using the reference date 31/08/2019 to identify children under the age of two when it should be using the reference date 31/08/2020. CAPITA understand that the DfE is not planning to provide a new version of its validation file to deal with this problem but will be referring to this on their part when reporting their known issues. The DfE normally issues a school census bulletin before census day listing all known issues.
2. CAPITA known issues for sims users – secondary schools
Fault codes 6648 4447 9000 – error when calculating Autumn 2020 school census return
Some secondary schools will get the above error when clicking ‘Calculate All Details’ within the census. CAPITA have advised they are creating a patch to resolve this so please log a call with Scomis if you receive this error.
1638Q where learner has achieved grade ‘A*’-‘C’ / ‘9’-‘4’ in English the prior attainment stage must be equal to ‘1’ or ‘2’
The above error can be generated as a result of changes within Prior Attainment reporting relating to English Language and English Literature GCSEs. Full details on the changes in reporting and how they impact on the census are available via the Scomis school census webpage https://faq.scomis.org/kb26541/. Scomis are looking into this with CAPITA and will provide an update when further information is available. Please check their website on a regular basis.
3. SIMS users – Fileset and Patches
Schools must have upgraded to version 7.194 or above and must have imported the most up to date fileset – 1602 at the time of publication. If you are a hosted school, Scomis will apply filesets automatically for you. If you encounter any difficulties please contact Scomis on 01392 385300. Non hosted schools will need to download the filesets from the Scomis website and apply themselves.
COVID 19 temporary attendance code patch 25918 – this removes temporary attendance codes used in COVID-19 attendance reporting over the summer and maps absences to permanent codes.
COVID 19 exclusion reason patch 26010 – this adds the exclusion reason of ‘Wilful and repeated transgression of protective measures in place to protect public health’ to the exclusions reasons table for exclusions starting on or after 01/08/20.
Hosted schools who would like these patches added need to request them from Scomis on an individual basis and Scomis will then apply the patch. Non hosted schools who are supported by Scomis will also need to contact Scomis who will release the patch for the school’s use via Solus.
For the latest SIMS census information please view the Scomis website.
4. Department for Education (DfE) Sign-in Portal – COLLECT
We are aware, that some schools, have in the past encountered difficulties with their COLLECT access. We therefore ask that you check your COLLECT access by logging in to the DfE Sign in Portal as soon as possible. If you are having problems with the DfE Sign-in service, click on the ‘See our DfE Sign-in help guides’ link on the Sign in webpage.
5. Further Guidance
Our School Census Quick Guide and Supporting Guide (indicates where census data items are held in sims) are available via our website.
CAPITA sims school census handbooks are available at the bottom of the Scomis school census webpage.
Our autumn census checklist is available on the next page.
If you have any queries, or if this is your first school census, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from the Education Information Team will contact you to provide support and guidance.
Education Information Team (EdIT)
- If you have Early Years pupils in your school, you will be sent an Early Years Portal Task. Please ensure this is completed in full as it will be checked against your entries in the census return. The Early Years portal collection is based on week commencing 13/09/2019 which is a different week to census week
- Check your COLLECT access by logging in. If you have forgotten our password or username please report this to the Department of Education immediately
- Check you have upgraded to the SIMS version 7.194 or later as soon as possible to enable dry runs to be carried out. If you are a hosted school. Scomis will apply this automatically for you. If you are encountering difficulties in upgrading please contact Scomis on 01392 385300
- Check that the latest fileset version has been imported (fileset 1602 at time of publication). For the latest SIMS information please view the Scomis website
- Carry out a dry run to dertmine what information needs to be updated. For our Autumn 2020 School Census guide please view our website
- Check school level information e.g. establisment details, school email address, URN etc
- Ensure that leavers and re-admissions have been recorded and that any student records created in error have been deleted
- Check the students ‘basic details’, e.g name, date of birth, gender, enrolment status, year taught in, UPN, home address, eligibility for free school meals, first language and service child indicator
- Check Special Educational Needs information. SEN status, member of SEN Unit/resources provision indicators and the top up funding indicator. The details ‘SEN Report’ in the census routine is useful to pass to your SEN co-ordinator for consideration
- Check exclusions information, due to the absence of the Summer 2020 census, this Autumn 2020 census will collect any exclusion that occurred in the 2019/20 academic year. Please ensure exclusion records have been added against pupil records. E codes in attendance need to match the associated exclusion record
- Whilst attendance data is not being collected for the summer term, it would be beneficial to check your attendance data. Sims might still bring through attendance data as part of the cenus routine, but it will be disregarded on upload to COLLECT. To improve local performance reporting, deal with any missing marks and investigate any ‘N’ codes (reason for absence is not yet known)
- If applicable to your school, check the following Early Years information:
- Hours at setting, funded hours for 2,3 and 4 year olds, extended childcare hours for 3 and 4 year olds, 30 hour code (etended childcare hours) and disability access fund indicator
- Run through the School Census return in sims, remember to ‘create and validate’ the return
- Check and resolve errors and queries
- Produce the detailed reports and summary report to assist you with resolving any errors and queries
- Authorise the reurn, once your Head Teacher is satisfied the data is correct (print the reports for your records)
- Returns should be uploaded and submitted to the DfE COLLECT data collection website (available via the DfE Sign in Portal):
- Check for errors and queries in COLLECT and add the appropriate acceptable notes