We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
School Census Bulletin 2
School Census Bulletin 2 – Summer 2021
School Census Date: Thurs 20th May 2021 Return Date: Tues 25th May 2021
1. CAPITA Sims known issue
1920 pupil leaving date is missing, before entry date or equal to or after census date
This is being generated in error for pupils with a dual subsidiary registration, as the date of leaving is not being brought through in the census routine. CAPITA are working on a patch (26503) which should be available this week. Scomis will provide an update on the situation as soon as possible via their webpage https://faq.scomis.org/kb25941/.
2. pupil attendance and exclusion records
2485Q pupil attendance indicates that are excluded but no exclusion is recorded
This is being generated as there’s an E code in attendance but no exclusions record. There are a couple of scenarios where this query is correct and will simply need a note added in COLLECT;
- If the exclusion started in the autumn term and continued into the spring term. In this scenario there will be an e code and no exclusion record as the exclusion record would be recorded against the autumn term. Schools simply need to add a note in COLLECT explaining that the exclusion started in the autumn term and continued into the spring term.
- If a pupil was permanently excluded at the end of the autumn term they would remain on roll until the appeals process was completed. It’s therefore possible that the appeal process ran into the spring term. If the pupil wasn’t receiving any education provision during this period then they would have attendance codes E but no exclusion record for the spring term. Schools will need to add a note in COLLECT to reflect this.
However, in the following instances the pupil’s record and school census need to be amended;
- the pupil was not excluded – their attendance data needs to be reviewed to remove the E code
- the pupil was excluded in the spring term – an exclusion record needs to be added
3. Early Years – recording hours for the summer census
Please note guidance issued in January for the spring census related to specific scenarios during the national lockdown. The DfE have advised that for the summer census early years should revert back to general principles, whereby the normal situation should be recorded during census week. If a pupil is absent, regardless of whether it is COVID related, the school would record the normal expected hours for census week.
4.. SIMS users
Schools must have upgraded to version 7.198 or above and fileset 1802. Scomis have applied this fileset for hosted schools but if you encounter any difficulties please contact Scomis on 01392 385300. Non hosted schools will need to download the fileset from the Scomis website and apply themselves: https://faq.scomis.org/kb126252/.
For the latest SIMS census information please go to Scomis: https://faq.scomis.org/kb25941/
5. Further Guidance
Our School Census Quick Guide and Supporting Guide (indicating where census data items are held in sims) is available via https://www.devon.gov.uk/supportforschools/administration/school-census
CAPITA sims school census handbooks are available at the bottom of the Scomis school census webpage https://faq.scomis.org/kb25941/
If you have any queries, or if this is your first school census, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from the Education Information Team will contact you to provide support and guidance.
Education Information Team (EdIT)