We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
School Census Advance Notice – 2021 -2022
School Census for 2021/22 Academic Year
- Changes to existing data items
1.1 Autumn 2021 census
- Exclusions – in line with government advice fixed term exclusions will be referred to as suspensions, whilst permanent exclusions remain unchanged. Sims users: a new code has been introduced for suspensions in the exclusions lookup table. Schools should record suspensions from September 2021 in preparation for the forthcoming returns which will collect autumn term exclusions (Spring and Summer 2022 census returns)
- Programme aims (post 16 only) – to be collected for both on and off roll pupils. Sims users: CAPITA have also made some adjustments to how information is presented in the Learning Aims Panel (relating to Programme learning aims)
- Maths and English prior attainment (post 16) – data relating to prior attainment at the end of year 11 to be renamed ‘Maths GCSE prior attainment Yr11’ and ‘English GCSE prior attainment Yr11’ to improve clarity
1.2 Spring 2022 census
- Classes – new class activity ‘RS – Relationships Education’ added to allow classes on relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education to be recorded. For further information please see DfE guidance on relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education.
- Ethnicity – extending the codeset to include ‘White Northern Irish’ ethnic code in line with the ONS national census (maps to the main code of White British).
- New data items
2.1. Learner funding and monitoring – education recovery package – autumn census
The DfE have introduced two new fields to identify pupils in receipt of elements of the education recovery package. The data item is to be returned for any pupil who are either on roll on census day or became off roll since the start of the academic year.
- Funding and monitoring (FAM) type – there is only one type for 2021/22 and so schools’ MI systems should default to code “NLM – National Learner Monitoring: To identify any additional monitoring characteristics for the pupil”
- Funding and monitoring (FAM) code – this field records the specific element of funding which applies to the pupil;
- School led tutoring – pupils in NCY1 to 11, or aged 5 to 15 as at 31/08/21 and NCY ‘X’. From spring 2022 the cumulative total number of hours a pupil has received of school-led tutoring will be recorded in the census. Schools will therefore need to ensure that the pupil’s hours are updated in their MI system.
- 16 to 19 tuition fund – pupils in secondary, all-through, PRU or alternative provision with sixth forms
- Repeat of final year of programme funding – pupils in secondary, all-through, PRU or alternative provision with sixth forms
Further information on each of these elements is available via the DfE census webpage.
Sims users: CAPITA are currently looking into the possibility of adding a new ‘Update Funding and Monitoring’ menu route via Tools | Statutory Return Tools. The following is a mock-up of how it might look, further information will be provided in our quick guide closer to the time of the census;
2.2 Alternative Provision placements arrange by schools – voluntary for spring census
The DfE would like all schools to record and submit data on alternative provision (AP) placements that have been arranged for their pupils. This collection is voluntary in spring 2022 but the DfE encourage all participating schools to provide this information. The DfE advise that this data will be mandatory from 2022/23 academic year onwards.
This new module captures school arranged alternative provision and includes any AP placements arranged by mainstream schools and special schools.
If your school has not arranged any AP placements during the 2021 to 2022 academic year, you do not need to complete this module.
If your school has arranged AP placements in the 2021 to 2022 academic year, you will only need to send the DfE this information in the spring and summer census.
Further information, including definitions of alternative provision, guidance on who submits the information and the data items required, is available via separate guidance notes on our webpage https://www.devon.gov.uk/supportforschools/administration/school-census.
Sims users: A new panel has been created in the Registration details of a pupil’s record for all of the required information. Go to Focus | Pupil | Pupil Details, click on New in the ‘School Arranged Alternative Provision Placements’ panel and add the relevant information.
Education Information Team, 10/08/21