We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
Federation guidance for federated schools with one personnel system.
Devon Federated Schools guidance
If your school is part of a Federation and the ‘Personnel’ module for all schools in the federation has been amalgamated into one system (resulting in one census file), you will need to follow this section. If your school is part of a federation but each school sends in their own return via COLLECT – please follow the guidance and checklist for all other schools that can be found on our webpages.
As the DfE requires a separate School Workforce Census for each school within the federation, the school holding the personnel information needs to provide:
- one School Workforce Census containing all the data
- a list of all staff with their contract details allocated against each school they attend, such as, contract post, hours per week, FTE hours, weeks per year, annual pay and any additional payments (please see below for guidance on how to provide this information)
- headcount information for current vacancies and occasional (supply) teachers present on census day for each of the schools
- the name of school holding the contract for the executive headteacher post (as the post should be recorded against this school, with the other school/schools not reporting an executive head).
The DfE state that where staff are shared across schools, they must be returned separately for each school, showing the appropriate hours.
- A list of teacher and teaching assistant absences is not required for this census as the DfE are not collecting absences this year. Absences will return next year.
- Headcount information on third party support staff present on census day, for example, Norse catering or cleaning staff, is not required for this census as the DfE is not collecting the information this year.
How to provide the Information
Once you have run through your Workforce Census and have resolved your errors and queries please export the following Detail Reports to Excel (open the report, right click your mouse and select ‘Export to Microsoft Excel’);
- Workforce member contract/service agreement details.
- Workforce member allowance details.
Add columns to the spreadsheet for each school in your federation and indicate with a ‘’ or ‘yes’ which records should be recorded against each school. Alternatively, you could add one column and enter the school name or DfE code relevant to the contract.
Where members of staff have a contract where hours are split across the schools please specify the proportion of hours per week to be allocated against each school. This proportional split will also be applied to the payment details.
If you encounter difficulties in exporting the reports to Excel, you may print the reports and add the information by hand before scanning to the census mailbox.
Please forward completed spreadsheets to email@example.com and include details on current vacancies and occasional (supply) teachers in your email (if the information has not been provided elsewhere). Please ensure that the subject of the email includes the DfE code of the main school followed by the federation name (for ease of identification).
Credibility Reports from COLLECT
To ensure that the data provided in your Workforce Census is correct the Department for Education has produced Credibility Reports in COLLECT. To assist schools, the Credibility Data Check and other reports will be included in the Education Information Team’s data checking report that will be sent to all schools. The report will be emailed to the main school of the federation.
As schools are responsible for accurate submissions any anomalies identified in the report run need to be investigated and resolved. For example, staff with no contracts, missing personal details (NI number, teacher number), teachers whose pay is outside grade range and staff who appear to be working more than full-time hours.
Once you have uploaded your return to COLLECT the Education Information Team (EDIT) will email the Return Credibility Check and other reports to you so you can check any anomalies:
- If there are numerous amendments required then you will need to make the changes in sims and upload another file to COLLECT, EDIT will not work on creating separate files until an updated single file has been received.
- If there are only a few amendments required you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with the necessary changes and authorise us to update your file in COLLECT for you.
Please be aware that some of the queries raised may be because the report is being run on one file for the whole federation. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any support.
The full set of reports are available to run direct from COLLECT should schools wish to do so.
Federations’ Queries and Errors in COLLECT
Please do not enter any notes in response to queries/errors raised in COLLECT until EDIT has contacted you advising that your return has been processed (it could take a couple of weeks for your files to be processed).
Any errors/queries are initially generated against your single file and therefore you need to wait until separate files have been created and processed (any queries should then be relevant to your individual schools’ returns).
If you are the lead school in the Federation and have any queries in this regard, please contact Sharon Vaughan or Cathy Williams on 01392 383000 (this is a voice-activated system, please ask for us by name).
Alternatively, you can contact us via email at email@example.com.
The Federation checklist can be found on our webpage here.