Managing the network
We are responsible for over 12,800 kilometres (8,000 miles) of road, the longest network in England.
What we do
We manage the movement of traffic on the highway network. Our 24-hour service deals with incidents and emergencies, monitors traffic and congestion on major routes, and plans our response to forecasted weather emergencies.
How we do this
- regular safety inspections
- surveys to gather information on the condition
- routine maintenance, such as gully emptying
- planned maintenance to address issues such as blocked drainage and ditches, minor road repairs, traffic signals, street lighting, road markings and signage
- coordinate dates and timing of works to minimise disruption
- manage and enforce parking restrictions
- supervise and enforce highway activities including works and events
Please note that:
- motorways and trunk roads are maintained by Highways England
- Torbay roads are maintained by Torbay Council
- Plymouth roads are maintained by Plymouth Council
If you can’t find what you’re looking for please take a look at our help and support page where we’ve brought together the answers to our most commonly asked questions.