We are responsible for over 12,800 kilometres (8,000 miles) of road, the longest network in England.
What we do
We manage the movement of traffic on the highway network. Our 24-hour service deals with incidents and emergencies, monitors traffic and congestion on major routes, and plans our response to forecasted weather emergencies.
How we do this
- regular safety inspections
- surveys to gather information on the condition
- routine maintenance, such as gully emptying
- planned maintenance to address issues such as blocked drainage and ditches, minor road repairs, traffic signals, street lighting, road markings and signage
- coordinate dates and timing of works to minimise disruption
- manage and enforce parking restrictions
- supervise and enforce highway activities including works and events
Please note that:
- motorways and trunk roads are maintained by Highways England
- Torbay roads are maintained by Torbay Council
- Plymouth roads are maintained by Plymouth Council
If you can’t find what you’re looking for please take a look at our help and support page where we’ve brought together the answers to our most commonly asked questions.