Skip to content

Maintaining roads

Information for farmers

Agriculture is our major industry and farmers have to use the public highway regularly in the course of their work. As a farmer or landowner, it’s important for you to know your rights and responsibilities when using the public highway.

Working on the public highway

Any work you need to do on the public highway, such as hedge cutting or ditching, should be done in accordance with the recommendations in Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual.

The necessary warning signs must be in place before you start work and must be removed when the work is finished. Signs should be placed in advance of the work and visible on every approach to the area.

Signs are available from your local builders’ merchant or hire shop. For major roads call us on 0345 155 1004 to agree on the size and position of signs

Read our factsheet for more detailed information and advice.