Skip to content

Make a request

Vehicle crossings (dropped kerbs) and access ramps

A vehicle crossing (often referred to as a dropped kerb) is a specially constructed section of pavement or verge to enable vehicular access to a property.

You will need to apply for a licence if you wish to create a new access onto the highway which involves dropping the kerbs, or if you intend to extend an existing dropped kerb outside your property. Please check that the road is part of our highway network before applying as not all roads in Devon are our responsibility.  They may be privately owned, or maintained by the district council, or the responsibility of Highways England and you would need to contact whoever is responsible in those cases.

The approval of an application for a licence is dependent on a number of factors such visibility at the site and distance from the nearest junction. The checklist below, ’10 things you need to check before applying for a vehicle crossing or access ramp’ should give you an indication of whether your application is likely to be successful. However, you should bear in mind that even if you complete this checklist without any issues arising, your application may be still refused due to local safety considerations at your site visit.

If you are creating a new access onto the highway and there are no kerbs to be dropped please contact our team to discuss whether you need to apply for a vehicle crossing. You can call us on 0345 155 1004.

The cost of constructing a vehicle crossing varies depending on the contractor you choose, the size of the site, and the specification of crossing required, but will probably start from £1,500 upwards. It is advisable to obtain a number of quotes before choosing a contractor. If you are uncertain about hiring a contractor the Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice. Our licence costs £275.60 in total, which covers our safety assessment, construction audit and administration costs.

  • 10 things you need to check before applying for a vehicle crossing or access ramp

    1. Are you able to pay for the licence and construction costs? Construction pricing varies depending on the contractor you choose and the specification of crossing required, but will probably cost somewhere between £1,500 and £3,000. The licence costs £275.60 which will be taken in two payments: £79.50 before the first site visit and £196.10 after site approval.
    2. Are you the homeowner? We can only approve a vehicle crossing with the homeowner’s consent.
    3. Do you require planning permission? You need to check with your local district council to find out if planning permission is required. For more information about planning permission please see the government Planning Portal website.
    4. Do you have enough room to fit a standard vehicle without overhanging the footway? There must be room for a standard sized vehicle so that it does not overhang the footway. A clear minimum of 5m depth and 2.7m width is required. The type of vehicle you own will not be taken into account. There is no set maximum depth or width but each site will be assessed for safety, feasibility, and the potential impact on local parking.
    5. Is your proposed site far enough away from the nearest junction? You need to be 15m from an A, B or C road or 10m from a minor road.
    6. Is there good visibility? Walls, hedges or other obstructions may mean that we are unable to approve the vehicle crossing.
    7. Are there any utility covers in the vicinity of the dropped kerb? If there are, you will need to contact the utility company to arrange for it to be removed. Utility companies usually charge for this.
    8. Are there any trees on the footway or verge in the vicinity? If a tree needs to be moved or removed it may cost around £600. If a tree is removed, you will have to pay for two new trees to be planted in an appropriate place.
    9. Is the site clear of street furniture such as road signs? It may be possible to move the street furniture, but it can cost up to £3,000.
    10. Is the site clear of any parking restrictions such as parking bays or bus stops? It may be possible to amend restrictions but the process can cost £3,000.

Find out more about the application process and apply for a vehicle crossing or access ramp >