Skip to content

Make a request

Apply for a skip licence

  • Type of application: For contractors
  • Cost: £71
  • Notice needed: 10 working days

You may also need to apply for:

Returning contractors: Apply for a skip licence here

Application details

You need a licence to place a skip on the highway. Only one skip will be allowed on the highway at any one time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Where possible, skips should be kept on private property.

You do not need a licence if the skip will be placed on private land. If you are unsure whether an area of land is private or maintained by Devon County Council, please call us on 0345 155 1004. We will be able to tell you if a licence is required, or if you will need to speak with the landowner before starting work.


A licence costs £71.00. Application costs are exempt from tax.

In some instances, a neighbourhood highway officer may have to carry out a site visit. A further charge of £89.00 will be applied if a site visit takes place.


We need a minimum of 10 working days’ notice to process the application. In an exceptional emergency situation, it may be possible to grant a licence with fewer than 10 working days’ notice – but this would be at an increased cost of £130.00.

It is technically an offence under section 139 of the Highways Act to deposit a skip before the due date.

Licences are valid for a maximum of 28 days. If you want to extend a licence please email or phone 01392 382900. The cost of an extension is £54.00.

Who can apply

All applications must be made by skip providers on behalf of their customers. If you wish to place a skip on the highway, you should contact a skip provider and ask them to apply for a licence for you.

Skip providers are required to hold Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8 Signing, Lighting and Guarding cards or certificates and a minimum of £5 million public liability insurance.

Skip providers should ensure they have read the full licence conditions before applying.

You may also need to apply for

A licence to carry out minor work on the highway

If you need to place further materials on the highway (road or pavement) that are associated with the skip, such as building materials or temporary traffic lights, you will be required to apply for a licence to carry out minor work on the highway.