Skip to content

Make a request

Pavement licences (outdoor seating)

You must apply for a licence to have café seating and tables on the public highway – that is any paved or pedestrianised area. Devon County Council have the power to remove any unlicensed items from the highway. If we instruct our contractor to instigate the removal process, we will then seek to recover costs, this could be in the region of £3,000.

A temporary pavement licence process is in place until 30 September 2023.  This is a streamlined process aimed at supporting the hospitality sector and is managed by District Councils.

If you do not wish to apply for a temporary licence, or you are unable to utilise the temporary process, you will need to apply using Devon County Council’s application process.

Devon County Council is the licensing authority for street cafés, however the following authorities manage applications on our behalf in their local areas;

Please note: Charges through the above authorities may differ to those quoted below.

Please find a list of pavement licences currently in operation.

Please find a list of proposed licences current in the consultation phase.