Temporary traffic restrictions
A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) or Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) is a legal process which must be used to introduce any temporary restrictions such as a temporary road closure, suspending a one way street or suspending parking.
Road closures are considered to be a last resort; we will only grant a TTRO or TTRN following a completed application and with sufficient justification.
To apply for a TTRO or TTRN you must:
- give us three months’ notice to process the application
- provide a start date and a duration
- be covered by Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million
- provide a proposed diversion route
- show that you have consulted local stakeholders such as residents and business owners.
You do not need to apply for a TTRO/N if you only require traffic management such as temporary traffic lights, give and take or stop/go. However, you will need to apply for a Section 171 licence.
If something has happened which may cause a danger to people or property on or adjacent to the public highway and the road needs to be closed email HOCC@devon.gov.uk or phone 0345 155 1008 immediately.