Make a request
Temporary traffic restrictions
A temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) or temporary traffic regulation notice (TTRN) is a legal process which must be used to introduce any temporary restrictions such as a temporary road closure, suspending a one way street or suspending parking.
Road closures are considered to be a last resort; we will only grant a TTRO or TTRN following a completed application and with sufficient justification.
To apply for a TTRO or TTRN you must:
- give us three months’ notice to process the application
- provide a start date and a duration
- be covered by public liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million
- provide a proposed diversion route
- show that you have consulted local stakeholders such as residents and business owners
You do not need to apply for a TTRO/N if you only require traffic management such as temporary traffic lights, give and take or stop/go. However, you will need to apply for a Section 171 licence.
Please note that the application process is different if you want to request a temporary traffic restriction for a special event or you wish to make adjustments to the existing road layout to give more space to cyclists and pedestrians (reallocation of roadspace for active travel).
If something has happened which may cause a danger to people or property on or adjacent to the public highway and the road needs to be closed email HOCC@devon.gov.uk or phone 0345 155 1008 immediately.