Make a request

Street cafe

You must apply for a licence to have cafe seating and tables on the public highway – that is any paved or pedestrianised area.

Licensing authorities are:

Devon County Council is the licensing authority for all other areas.

  • There must be a minimum width of two metres of footway remaining for pedestrians.
  • An initial licence costs £200, with a yearly renewal fee of £85.
  • You must hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million.
  • Planning permission may be required in addition to this licence.
  • Items must be safe, practical, portable and in keeping with surroundings.
  • You need to provide clear diagrams showing your proposal. These examples show acceptable and unacceptable diagrams.
  • By law we must carry out a 28 day public consultation on all new applications.
  • Licences are non-transferable. So, for example, you can’t operate under a previous owner’s licence.
  • We have the power to remove unlicensed items from the highway and non-compliance may result in a £1000 fine.

Please read our terms and conditions and guidance notes before applying. More information can be found in our frequently asked questions.

Apply for a licence

To apply for a licence, download the application form and submit completed to We will acknowledge receipt and aim to give you a decision within 12 weeks, which includes the consultation period. We recommend you apply as early as possible to prevent disappointment.

If you need help filling in the form, here’s an example application form which shows the kind of thing we are looking for. If you are still stuck, ring us on 01392 385084.

An existing licence must be renewed at least two weeks before it expires. If you wish to renew, please contact us on quoting your reference number and contact details.