Make a request
Devon Play Streets
Play Streets allow residents to come together to temporarily close a street to traffic* giving children the chance to use it for play. They are a great way to get children outdoors and active. At the same time Play Streets enable everyone to come together and make new friends in the local community.
Visit the Playing Out website to find out more about Play Streets and its positive impact on our children’s health and our local community.
*Access is still available for local residents
Play Streets in Devon
If you live in Exeter or Cranbrook, you can apply to have a Play Street as part of the Live and Move Programme. You can organise a Play Street as often as once a month and for up to three hours at a time.
Inspired to organise your own Play Street? You can find instructions on how to apply for a Play Street below.
To find out more about what is involved in running a Play Street, please visit the Playing Out website.
How to apply for a Play Street
If you live in Exeter or Cranbrook, you can apply for a Play Street by following the steps below:
- Read our ‘Devon Play Streets – How to Guide’ to find out what steps to take to successfully organise and run a Play Street
- Complete our Devon Play Streets E-learning module – it will only take 15 minutes to complete and has been developed to ensure the safety of all those involved and impacted by your Play Street.
PLEASE NOTE: everyone involved in the planning and stewarding of your Play Street must complete the module prior to running the event.
- Apply for your Play Street even(s) – Complete the Play Streets application form and email the completed form together with the supporting documents (please see our Play Streets – How to Guide) to email@example.com Printed copies are available on request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and can be sent to:Devon County Council – Traffic Management Team, Great Moor House, Bittern Road, Sowton, Exeter, EX2 7NLWe will be in touch to discuss your application and next steps
- If your application was successful, pick up the traffic signs and cones from Devon County Council (provided FREE of charge) to run your Play Street.
- Enjoy your Play Street event(s)! – Please see our Play Streets – How to Guide how to get ready during the lead up to the events and ensure your Play Street is enjoyable and safe for all involved.
- After your (final) Play Street event, please return the traffic signs and cones back to Devon County Council.
Supporting documents for your application
Please use the documents below to apply and organise your Play Street:
- Play Streets – How To Guide
- Play Streets – Application form
- Play Streets – Terms and Conditions
- Neighbour consultation letter template
- Signatures of support table template
- Risk assessment template (Playing Out website)
With any questions relating to Play Streets, please email us at email@example.com