Make a request
Disabled parking bay
In light of the recent Coronavirus outbreak, our Highways teams have been prioritising our work to continue to deliver essential works on Devon’s roads.
As a result, our ability to respond to applications has been affected and there are significant delays in processing and marking new bays. We thank you for your support and co-operation.
Under certain circumstances we can provide one of two types of disabled parking bay for Blue Badge holders.
- A formal space – normally found in town centres, these can also be placed in residential parking zones. The word DISABLED is written alongside the bay, and a restriction plate showing the blue disabled symbol is mounted next to the bay. They are covered by a traffic regulation order, which can be enforced by a civil enforcement officer.
- An advisory space – normally provided where parking is at a premium in a residential area not controlled by waiting restrictions. Advisory bays are marked with the word DISABLED, but they don’t have a restriction plate showing the blue disabled symbol accompanying them. They can’t be enforced and no action can be taken against anyone else who parks there.
A bay can’t be provided solely for an individual and is available for any Blue Badge Holder.
Apply for a disabled parking bay
- You must be a Blue Badge holder.
- You must be the driver, or regular passenger, of the vehicle the space is needed for.
- The vehicle must be based at your property and the driver must also be resident.
- There must be no off-street parking available at or near your property.
We will normally only approve a bay where there is a known parking issue.
If you are eligible an initial assessment will be made by our Customer Service Centre to identify a suitable location for the bay. This will be subject to an on-site assessment to ensure that the bay can be safely and practically sited.
If, after surveying the site it is found that a bay cannot be marked due to existing parking restrictions, road safety or traffic management issues you will be contacted.
The marking of advisory bays can take 16 to 20 weeks. A formal mandatory bay can take 9 to12 months due to the necessity for a traffic regulation order.
To apply for a bay phone 0345 155 1004 and we will check your eligibility.