Make a request
Disabled parking bay
In light of the recent Coronavirus outbreak, our Highways teams have been prioritising our work to continue to deliver essential works on Devon’s roads.
As a result, our ability to respond to applications and mark new bays has been affected and there will be delays for the time being and we thank you in advance for your support and co-operation.
Under certain circumstances we can provide one of two types of disabled parking bay for Blue Badge holders.
- A formal space – normally found in town centres, these can also be placed in residential parking zones. The word DISABLED is written alongside the bay, and a restriction plate showing the blue disabled symbol is mounted next to the bay. They are covered by a traffic regulation order, which can be enforced by a civil enforcement officer.
- An advisory space – normally provided where parking is at a premium in a residential area not controlled by waiting restrictions. Advisory bays are marked with the word DISABLED, but they don’t have a restriction plate showing the blue disabled symbol accompanying them. They can’t be enforced and no action can be taken against anyone else who parks there.
A bay can’t be provided solely for an individual and is available for any Blue Badge Holder.
Apply for a disabled parking bay
- You must be a Blue Badge holder.
- You must be the driver, or regular passenger, of the vehicle the space is needed for.
- The vehicle must be based at your property and the driver must also be resident.
- There must be no off-street parking available at or near your property.
We will normally only approve a bay where there is a known parking issue.
If you are eligible an initial assessment will be made by our Customer Service Centre to identify a suitable location for the bay. This will be subject to an on-site assessment to ensure that the bay can be safely and practically sited.
If, after surveying the site it is found that a bay cannot be marked due to existing parking restrictions, road safety or traffic management issues you will be contacted.
The marking of advisory bays can take 12 to 16 weeks. A formal mandatory bay can take up to 8 months due to the necessity for a traffic regulation order.
To apply for a bay phone 0345 155 1004 and we will check your eligibility.