To promote and encourage children and parents to travel sustainably to school whilst reducing the number of collisions and casualties involving young people.
What we do
- Bikeability training for children and adults
- Operate a School Crossing Patrol Service
- Help schools manage their School Travel Plan
- Advice to schools on setting up a Walking Bus
- Signpost to road safety resources
- Education through song; check out our Zoo Song:
What you can do
Devon County Council is changing. Government funding for many services has been severely reduced so we are keen to empower school communities to build on their own strengths and improve things for themselves.
Promote and encourage children, parents and staff to make more sustainable journeys and reduce car use wherever possible. For example,
- Host our free Bikeability courses.
- Encourage staff to cycle. Bit wobbly on two wheels? Free cycle confidence sessions available
- Set up a Park and Stride scheme
- Set up a Walking Bus. See What We Do section above
- WOW – the Year-round Walk to School Challenge
- Walk to School Week
- Use the THINK! Educational Resources, and involve parents and children , to deliver road safety advice to your pupils
- With the wider school community, develop a strategy to deal with inappropriate parking at school travel time. Contact a Road Safety Officer if guidance is required