Delivering the Safer Roads programme in Devon.
The Department for Transport introduced the Safer Roads Fund to support road safety in England, and it is part of a wider package of investment into Britain’s road network. It targets the 50 most dangerous stretches of road in England, as identified through the Road Safety Foundation.
The report identified one road in North Devon in the national list of 50 – this being the A3123. The A3123 connects the A361 at Mullacott Cross Roundabout (located south of Ilfracombe) to the junction with the A399 at Easter Close Cross (located south of Combe Martin) and is approximately 11km in length. Proposed works have included junction improvement schemes at Hore Down Gate, Berry Down Cross and Berrydown Cross, which were all completed in 2020. A 2km section of the road was also resurfaced in 2020 and white lining improvement work has been carried out in 2021. The final round of works include a junction improvement scheme at Lynton Cross, near Ilfracombe.
Devon County Council’s applications:
- A3123 (North Devon) Bid Application
- A3123 Appendix Supporting Information
- A3123 Consultation Plans
- A3123 Hore Down Gate to Lynton Cross Temporary Closure and Diversion Route
Devon County Council Newscentre articles
- £2.2 million A3123 road safety scheme backed by councillors
- Green light for A3121 safety improvements
- Road safety scheme designed for A3123
- Improvements on A3123 Berry Down Cross
See also the first phase report evaluating the Safer Roads Fund (2018)