Guide: Business Plan 2015-2021
Guiding principles: Intelligent use of information
We use information available to us to identify opportunities for improving our service and:
- Make decisions
- Be aware of new and developing ways to do things
- Enable our people to deliver their best for Devon
Examples of data from other sources:
- How successfully new highway maintenance techniques have been introduced elsewhere and how other authorities are approaching similar challenges.
- Collision data which enables us to identify areas where highway safety may be a concern and prioritise schemes.
- Daily weather forecasts which enable us to plan ahead for conditions that may affect the travelling public, such as flooding.
Examples of our data:
- what the people of Devon say about our service and what they need from us
- the inventory of our highway assets (roads, bridges, drainage systems, street lights, signs and lines, etc)
- the condition of our highway assets
- the amount and type of traffic regularly using the roads
- what we spend our budget allocations on
- the knowledge and skills our people possess
- the effectiveness of the treatments we use to maintain and build the highway network
- the network of public rights of way and Definitive Map