Skip to content

Make a request

Street parties

Street parties can only be held for one day for national celebrations

6, 7 or 8 May 2023 to celebrate The Kings Coronation Big Lunch. The closing date for applications is 26 March 2023.

Organising small, private street parties is very simple. It generally does not include activities that need a licence such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment.

Do I need to close the road?

A street party is best in a closed road as it is great to not have to worry about traffic for the day. However, there may be reasons why you are not able to, want to, or have the time to arrange a road closure. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have your street party.

Closing the road

If you need to close the road there are two types of application;

Basic street party application

The basic street party application is for small parties in cul-de-sacs or minor residential roads only. If you’re unsure as to which application to complete, and to avoid any potential delays in processing your request, please see the information below (I don’t know which application to submit).

There is no fee for a basic street party application, but we do require a minimum of 6 weeks’ notice.

The event should be free of charge and for residents only. You should let all businesses, residents and bus companies know about the party at least two weeks in advance.

We don’t require organisers to hold public liability insurance cover for a basic application, however we do recommend it as Devon County Council will not be held responsible for any damage or injury.

Road closure signs and cones should be placed at the start of the closure and need to be in line with chapter 8 guidance. We are unable to supply signage or cones, however, these can be arranged through a third party contractor or your local parish or town council may be able to assist.

Special event application

A special event application is for events that are held on busier through roads and/or are larger scale, community events.

We require a minimum of 3 months’ notice for a special event, and a fee may apply.

I don’t know which application to submit

If you are unsure, please use our application guidance or contact us for further information.

Street meets

Street meets are parties that are held on private land such as a drive, parking area or front garden. You should make sure that all residents are happy with the arrangement.

You don’t need to advise us if you are having a street meet.

Further information is available on the street party website.