Make a request
Apply for a temporary traffic restriction
You can apply for temporary traffic restrictions if:
- your work is going to be carried out on or near the road
- there is a likelihood of danger to the public
- there is serious damage to the road which needs repairing
We need a minimum of three months’ notice to introduce a temporary traffic restriction for planned work.
If your planned work will be longer than five days then you must apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO). If you expect your planned work to be completed in five days or fewer you can apply for a temporary traffic regulation notice (TTRN).
If work overruns beyond the five days covered by the TTRN you will need an additional TTRO which will be charged at the full rate.
For an emergency closure due to a burst water or gas main, phone 0345 155 1008.
- Closure or restrictions by Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) – £800
- Closure or restrictions by Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) – £300
- Extending a TTRO for up to 18 months – £200
- Deferring the start date for an order which has been processed and advertised and so has to be re-advertised – £500
- If you cancel a TTRO before it has been advertised the fee will be lowered – £300
If you need ‘no waiting’ cones there may be an additional cost.
How to apply
For all other applicants, read the guidance notes, fill in the application form and send it, along with supporting materials to email@example.com. If you wish to pay by cheque, please make payable to Devon County Council. Your application form, supporting materials and cheque (if paying by this method) should be posted to:
Devon Highways Road Closure Team
Exeter EX2 4QD
Please note that the application process is different if you want to request a temporary traffic restriction for a special event.
If you need more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0345 155 1004.