The Estate currently comprises 68 fully equipped residential dairy and mixed livestock farms categorised into starter and progression units ranging from 37 to 301 acres.
All new farm lets are by Farm Business Tenancy Agreements under the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995.
The Estate aims to provide people with their first opportunity to farm but with a view that within a reasonable time frame, they secure an independent livelihood from agriculture.
Farms to let
For information on farms that are available to let please see the NPS group website.
When a holding becomes vacant it is advertised in the national farming press. Those interested should download the letting particulars from the NPS website, attend a viewing day when all potential applicants can walk the farm, view the facilities and discuss any matters which they may wish to raise with the land agent.
Interested applicants will then submit an initial application, which must include practical farm and environmental management proposals, cash flows and budgets and a rent tender. Successful applicants that are short-listed will be visited at home and those on the final shortlist will be invited to an interview.
When selecting new entrants to farm the County’s Estate, we look for the following credentials and requirements:
- Enthusiasm for and dedication to the agricultural industry.
- Sufficient available tenant’s capital.
- A proven background in farming with a thorough understanding of not only the practical side but also the financial management and business side, such as budgets and cash flows.
- A successful applicant would have had suitable agricultural experience which may include a period of time spent at a further education agricultural institute.
- The foresight to identify and exploit new rural or land based enterprises and business opportunities.
The County Land Agents
NPS South West Ltd
One Capital Court
Sowton Industrial Estate