Community Energy Fund
Devon County Council is launching a new fund to support the Community Energy sector in Devon
What is Community Energy?
Community-led energy projects bring people together to secure the energy supply for their local area. The Community Energy sector encompasses collective action at a local level to reduce, purchase, manage and generate energy, ultimately enabling the local community to benefit collectively from the outcomes.
Activity can include reducing demand, improving energy efficiency or increasing the amount of energy generated from low-carbon and renewable sources.
Community Energy Fund
The Community Energy Fund has been set up to support the recovery of businesses and the wider economy of Devon following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The key objective of this fund is to support, develop and fund a small number of high-quality Community Energy initiatives that will help to advance and strengthen the Community Energy sector in Devon.
The fund is available for voluntary, community and public-sector organisations across Devon to help support Community Energy initiatives that will:
- improve the capacity of existing community energy companies in Devon to develop successful community energy projects
- increase the number of community energy companies in Devon
- provide accredited training that helps to move the community energy sector forward, particularly accredited retrofit training
- increase public awareness of the benefits of community energy
We will prioritise projects that:
- create jobs and/or training
- provide opportunities for acquiring accredited skills
- contribute to saving energy
- contribute to generating renewable energy
- demonstrate local ownership and/or community involvement with the community energy sector
- improve knowledge and awareness of the opportunities presented by the community energy sector
Who can apply?
Not-for-private-profit organisations and public-sector bodies may apply including:
- community energy companies
- community benefit societies
- parish, town and district councils (within Devon)
- community groups
What is the funding for?
Funding is available for:
- skills and training to increase capacity in the community energy sector
- preparatory work for applications to larger strategic funds that have a community energy focus, for example, the Rural Community Energy Fund
- Community Retrofit Accredited Training and other accredited training to benefit the community energy sector
- set-up costs for two new Community Energy Companies in Devon
Projects will need to demonstrate that they can achieve:
- economic outputs – job creation, new skills
- energy outputs – for example, saving energy, generating renewable energy
All projects must have a clear community benefit and should include awareness-raising activities to engage the wider community, for example, through public events.
Where can projects take place?
Activity needs to be wholly within Devon (excluding Plymouth and Torbay).
How much is available?
The maximum grant is £25,000. The majority of the funding available is revenue but we can also provide some capital funding.
When can projects take place?
Applications must be submitted by 12noon on Monday 8 November 2021.
Projects can run for up to two years. All funding must be spent by 31 March 2023.
How do I apply?
You will need to complete the application form and submit it by email to email@example.com by the deadline of 12noon on Monday 8 November 2021.
Further information and guidance can be found in the application pack. Please get in touch using the email address above if you have any questions about the fund.