Skip to content

Economy, enterprise and skills

Building a thriving, green and inclusive economy

Devon Place Board minutes – 8 November 2023


Last Updated


Melanie Sealey (Chair), Keir Duffin, Alison Hayward, Andrew Elliot, Andy Wood, Claire Cushion, Dan James, Dominie Dunbrook, Josie Gough, Heather Hillman, Jamie Evans, Mike Deaton, Paul Britton, Sarah Jane Mackenzie-Shapland, Tim Child, Zoe Lentell, Hannah Keyte (Minutes)


Adrian Welsh, Chris Brook, Chris Fuller, Chris Shears, Dave Bartram, David Boocock, Jamie Hulland, Neil Blaney, Richard Marsh, Sean Kearney

1. Local Visitor Economy Partnerships (LVEPs)

Vince Flower (Chair of Visit Devon), Richard Dickinson (Tomorrow’s Tourism Consultant undertaking the LVEP Study) and Robin Tjolle (Visit England) presented on LVEPs.

Phase 1 took place in summer and included a range of interviews, review of policy, surveys etc. Overall picture is quite positive. Phase 2 is November to January 2024 and drafting an outline destination management plan. Meeting scheduled for 7th December so would welcome Devon attendees. This meeting is around next steps / outcomes, agreement of governance and more detail on working groups.

Should anyone wish to discuss this outside of the meeting, please do contact Robin, Richard or Vince.

2. Update on Devolution – Phill Adams

Progress being made but pending update from Government.

3. DLUHC Update – Josie Gough – Head of South West Citizen Local Growth Unit

JG is heavily involved in Levelling Up Partnerships.

Expecting LUF Round 3 announcement imminently. Anticipating short timescales and looking for projects that are deliverable by March 2025.

Working through LEP integration guidance and expecting further guidance / confirmation of funding after Christmas.

ACTION: JG to continue to attend these meetings going forward.

4. FLOW Celtic Sea offshore wind supply chain and database – Jamie Evans

JE – potentially a number of economic opportunities in Devon and also for Plymouth, Devon and Torbay as a region.

Draft database developed capturing opportunities. Opportunities in North Devon include operation and maintenance training, smaller scale manufacturing. JE shared current list of potential suppliers on screen. Should districts wish to suggest any businesses to include, please do make contact with JE and put proposals forward.

Discussions around White Cross and cable route / if current cabling is suitable.

5. Questionnaire – OPE / Devon Place Board / Next Year – Keir Duffin

KD will send out a questionnaire after the meeting to obtain feedback on format, content and meeting frequency going forward.

6. Any Other Business


Future Meeting Dates:

  • Wednesday 24th January 3pm
  • Wednesday 17th April 11am
  • Wednesday 24th July 3pm
  • Wednesday 23rd October 3pm