Brunel Road Recycling Centre
Please see COVID-19 guidance for further information on restrictions that are currently in force at the Recycling Centre.
Proof of Address
Users of Brunel Road Recycling Centre will be asked to show evidence that they live in the Devon County Council area. Sufficient evidence includes a driving licence, current council tax bill or utility bill.
In order to access this Recycling Centre in a van, you will need to book a slot. Please view site user & vehicle restrictions for further information.
|Summer (Apr to Sep)||Winter (Oct to Mar)|
|Monday to Friday||9:00am to 5:00pm||9:00am to 4:30pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||10:00am to 6:00pm||10:00am to 4:30pm|
Brunel Road Recycling Centre
0345 155 1010
This site will not accept waste from Torbay residents
In the event of extreme weather conditions the recycling centres may be forced to close at short notice, due to potential health and safety risks to site users. We will endeavour to update this webpage and the webpage of the closed recycling centre(s) when required but this may not always be possible. We would advise potential site users to avoid unnecessary travel during severe weather.
Coming from Exeter on the A380: turn right at Penn Inn Roundabout towards Newton Abbot. At the second set of lights turn right into Brunel Road Industrial Estate. Go straight across the mini roundabout and take the next right turn. The site is at the end of the road.
From Newton Abbot town centre: follow the signs for Forde House (District Council offices). Turn left into Brunel Road Industrial Estate. Go straight across the mini roundabout and take the next right turn. The site is at the end of the road.
Due to budget reductions, residents of Torbay will no longer be able to use Brunel Road Recycling Centre.
As residents of Torbay pay their Council Tax to Torbay Council, they do not contribute to the running costs of the site. We cannot afford to process waste from outside the county’s local authority area. Therefore only Devon County Council residents are permitted to use this Recycling Centre.
Security staff will be enforcing this restriction. Torbay residents are kindly asked to use Torbay household waste recycling centre located on Tor Park Road, Paignton.
Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
Waste loading/skip changes may result in this site (or part of the site) being closed for periods throughout the day. For your own safety, please remain in your vehicle and keep your waste on board until the loading/skip exchange is completed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Site staff will aim to provide assistance when reasonable; however they are unable to lift excessively heavy and/or awkward loads. For example, if a bulky/heavy item required 2 or more persons to initially load the vehicle then it will be expected that the same amount of people arrive to help unload the vehicle once on site.
Please ensure that your waste is separated before arriving at the site.
- Aluminium and steel cans.
- Batteries – Household and car batteries (excluding electric vehicle batteries). Alternatively, car batteries can be taken to a scrap metal merchant who may pay you for your battery.
- Bulky/rigid plastics.
- Cardboard/Greeting Cards (must be non-glittery).
- Clean mixed plastic packaging, for example, food trays and yoghurt pots (must be washed) – black plastic food trays and cling film type packaging are not acceptable.
- Directories/Yellow Pages.
- Drinks cartons/Tetra-paks (including paper containers with metal ends).
- Flat glass.
- Fluorescent tubes: up to 5 in any 6 month period.
- Foil/Aluminium packaging (clean aluminium foil/packaging only).
- Fridges/freezers (Commercial fridges/freezers/air conditioning units are not accepted as well as units from caravans/motorhomes/boats).
- Garden/green waste (branches up to 250mm or 10 inches in diameter are accepted)
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Large electrical appliances, for example, cookers, microwaves, washing machines.
- Light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes).
- Metal (including empty aerosol cans).
- Paper, newspapers and magazines (shredded paper must go in the paper bank. Wrapping paper or any paper containing glitter must not go in the paper bank).
- Petrol powered lawn mowers and strimmers (must be emptied of fuel).
- Plastic bottles.
- Printer cartridges.
- Small domestic appliances, for example, toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers, computers, laptops etc (please ensure all personal data is deleted).
- TVs/computer monitors.
- Vegetable oil.
Restricted and non-acceptable materials
- Ash (must be cooled and well damped down).
- DIY waste: 0.5 tonnes in a 6 month period (limit excludes chargeable waste).
- Excess dustbin/black bag waste – please contact your local district/city or borough council in the first instance.
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period.
- Gas bottles.
- Hazardous waste, including items such as household chemicals (eg pesticides, white spirit, bleach, oil-based paint, mercury thermometers), DIY engine oils, solvents are accepted in restricted quantities: 5 litres.
- NHS equipment.
- Night storage heaters – Full appliances will only be accepted and must be double wrapped in tough plastic and sealed. Please see asbestos for more information.
- Noxious weeds.
- Commercial/trade waste. Trade green waste and cardboard is acceptable for a charge at this site by arrangement only, see Trade recycling for further details.
- Commercial fridges/freezers/air conditioning units are not accepted as well as units from caravans/motorhomes/boats.
- Dead pets, pet faeces and soiled litter/bedding material. See household clinical waste for further information. Your local vet will be able to help you with the cremation of dead pets. You may wish to consider a home composting facility for pet faeces or soiled bedding.
- Electric vehicle batteries.
- Fireworks (used/unused) – contact the manufacturer for disposal advice.
- Flares, explosives and ammunition – please contact your local coastguard (flares)/police station (explosives/ammunition) for disposal advice
- Fly-tipped waste
- Ground/Air source heat pumps.
- Oil Tanks/Heating Oil Tanks – please see a list of alternative service providers.
- Railway Sleepers/Utility poles.
- Sanitary wastes (nappies, sanitary towels)
- Sewage/contents of drains.
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district, city or borough council.
- Vehicles, vehicle parts, boats, caravans, trailers (fridges/freezers from caravans/motorhomes/boats are not accepted).
Further information about chargeable waste.
Site health and safety
Further information about site health and safety.
Site user and vehicle restrictions
Further information about site user and vehicle restrictions.