District councils are normally responsible for the collection of litter on public land.
If you want to organise a community/group litter picking event then please read through our litter pack below which contains useful and practical information to help you plan a litter pick or beach clean in your local area.
Please ensure that you discuss your arrangements for the disposal/recycling of the waste you collect with the local district council or landowner before the event takes place.
During the ongoing Coronavirus epidemic, please ensure that your litter picking event has appropriate safety measures in place e.g. physical distancing and limited groups sizes in line with current government guidelines. In addition to the litter pack advice, please view guidance from Keep Britain Tidy.
Litter pack for community groups
- How to organise a litter pick in 10 easy steps – a community group guide
- Template letter to landowner to organise a litter pick
- Template risk assessments for litter picks in land or on beaches -adaptable for your own use
- What to do about the rubbish – District specific information
- How to organise a beach clean in 10 easy steps, a community group guide
- Template letter to beach manager to organise a beach clean
- List of beaches and managers by district
- Hints and tips for a safe litter pick or beach clean
- What you can do to help combat the plastic pollution problem