District councils are normally responsible for the collection of litter on public land.
If you want to organise a community/group litter picking event then please read through our litter pack below which contains useful and practical information to help you plan a litter pick or beach clean in your local area.
Please ensure that you discuss your arrangements for the disposal/recycling of the waste you collect with the local district council or landowner before the event takes place.
Litter pack for community groups
- How to organise a litter pick in 10 easy steps – a community group guide
- Template letter to landowner to organise a litter pick
- Template risk assessments for litter picks-adaptable for your own use
- What to do about the rubbish – District-specific information
- How to organise a beach clean in 10 easy steps, a community group guide
- Template letter to beach manager to organise a beach clean
- Template risk assessments for beach cleans, adaptable for your own use
- List of beaches and managers by district
- Hints and tips for a safe litter pick or beach clean
- What you can do to help combat the plastic pollution problem