For health and safety reasons, our recycling centres do not accept non-household gas bottles. Acceptable types are listed below (quantities are restricted to five of each type, within a six month period).
- Standard low-pressure gas cylinders, for example, gas heaters cylinders.
- Small canisters (camping gas, soda stream or equivalent).
- Fire extinguishers.
- Helium (party balloon type).
- Refrigerant cylinders.
- Brewery cylinders.
- Food grade nitrous oxide canisters.
- Medical cylinders including oxygen.
- Diving cylinders.
- Breathing apparatus.
- Acetylene/welding cylinders.
- Industrial high-pressure cylinders.
- Industrial adhesive/froth packs.
- LPG auto gas tanks.
- Water purification tanks.
- Other unmarked cylinders where the content is unknown.
Cylinders remain the property of the gas company and should be returned to a local dealer of the company owning the cylinder. Medical cylinders should be returned to the issuing medical centre.
The following four parent companies have responsibility for the majority of cylinders:
- Calor Gas (Brooksight Ltd) Tel: 0207 731 1221.
- BP (Synergy Asset Services Ltd) Tel: 01227 462008.
- Flogas Tel: 0845 6015176.
- BOC Tel: 0800 111333.
Calor Gas are currently offering £7.50 for empty/unwanted Calor gas bottles if returned directly to a Calor Centre.
For more information see the Liquid Petroleum Gas Association website.
For Soda Stream gas canisters (empty, full/part full) contact Soda Stream Customer care on 0845 601 0093 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. They will arrange to send you a label to return the canisters.