Skip to content

Guide: A Guide to Committee Meetings

Part 10

Can I take part in meetings?

If you want to make your views known on an issue or to raise a particular matter, you can of course, lobby your local County Councillor to do so on your behalf.

However, the Council has introduced a scheme to allow members of the public to ask questions or present petitions to the Chairmen of the Cabinet, Development Management, HATOCs and Public Rights of Way. You can also make a representation at Council on any matter or at a Scrutiny Committee on any substantive item on the agenda. Details of these schemes are set out in a separate guide entitled ‘Public Participation at Committee Meetings’ which also includes a link to our petitions scheme.

In addition, many proposals under consideration by the Council are the subject of public consultation and are publicised through press adverts, street notices, exhibitions, the internet etc.