Working in Business Support
Business Support posts are essential to the successful delivery of services to the people of Devon, by providing support across the full range of office and Service activities/business processes, including the smooth running of the office environment, front of house/reception functions, administrative and secretarial/PA support to operational staff and the provision of relevant support, information, and advice to Service and Senior Managers.
Our values and ways of working
The Business Support Service provides a unified, comprehensive administrative, secretarial and PA support service, on a countywide basis, to a wide range of Service areas within Devon County Council including the following:
- Child and Adult Social Care Teams and Social Care Management
- Managers and Senior Managers across a range of DCC Service areas
- Corporate service support activities e.g., business vehicle hire, travel/accommodation arrangements
- Legal Services
- Public Health Nursing
- Corporate Records Management
- Access to Information i.e., Subject Access Requests, Freedom of Information Requests etc
- Regional Adoption Agency (Adopt Southwest)
Some of the key tasks provided by Business Support are listed below:
- Organise and administrate a range of statutory meetings with families and professionals – these are fast paced with tight deadlines and have a direct bearing on the safety of some of our most vulnerable children and young people.
- Set up and take notes at a range of other meetings e.g., Adult Safeguarding meetings, Triage meetings, Vulnerable pregnancy meetings etc.
- Maintain accurate client-related data using Office 365 Excel and/or in-house databases
- Administer Freedom of Information requests, Subject Access Requests, and police viewings for social care records
- Prepare and produce Court papers/bundles for social care related cases
- Provide administrative support to set up visits between Devon’s families and Health Visitors and School Nurses
- Provide administrative support to set up meetings with key practitioners and partner agencies
- Attend and contribute to virtual TEAMS meetings to develop processes and share ideas
- Complete office-based tasks including checking of administrative stock levels and ordering of items e.g., stationery and equipment, to support smooth office operations
- Monitor mailboxes and send out correspondence
- Electronic filing
- Manage and arrange business travel for a range of Services
- Maintain archived records
- Arrange training events for our foster carers, enabling them to flourish in their roles
- Provide administrative support to set up and administer training sessions for partner agencies
- Provide Personal Assistant support to Directors and Heads of Service
“As a Social Worker I simply could not do my job without the Business Support Team; the service is essential and valued by us all.
They respond quickly and efficiently to all requests and frequently go the extra mile when needed.
I recently had an enormous piece of work completed by them which was vital to the welfare of a child; they completed this in record time and without complaint.”
- Experienced Social Worker, Children’s Services
“As a Lawyer within the childcare team, I am always impressed by the efficiency of the Business Support Team.
I do not know how I could do my job without their commitment to making sure everything runs smoothly behind the scenes.
The work of Business Support colleagues is critical to the effective functioning of the Legal Department. Whether it’s preparing court bundles, arranging sealing, sorting, and scanning post, or storing and retrieving files from archives (just to name a few of the many things they do to support us), it is very much appreciated by the Legal Team.
The role that Business Support play has always been important but has been even more noticeable since the pandemic began and with many of us still working from home.”
- Assistant County Solicitor
There are a variety of administrative roles within Business Support that are essential to providing effective and efficient support to Service areas e.g.:
Service Support Assistants (General Administrators)
Provides support across the full range of office and Service activities and business processes, and advice to Service and Senior Managers.
Service Support Officers (Senior Administrators)
To act on behalf of the Service as the senior administrator, to implement, operate and maintain a range of statutory, regulatory, and corporate business processes and systems as required to support the efficient operation of the Service
Social Work Team Resource Officers
(Senior Administrators integrated with children’s social care teams)
Provide the organisational and administrative foundation within the local Children’s Social Work Care Team and undertaking and managing effective case work administration.
Safeguarding Conference Officers
Specialist minute takers for child and adult safeguarding meetings.
Personal Assistant service to Senior Management.
Working as part of a group of PA staff providing cover and support during absences, ensuring the smooth running of the function.
Service Support Managers
Responsible for the management of Business Support staff, ensuring the effective delivery of corporate objectives and compliance with statutory and regulatory duties to ensure effective outcomes for Devon’s residents and service users.
Access to Information Officers and Assistants
(General and Senior Administrators)
Provide general advice to the public on making information requests under the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations and to provide administrative support in the logging and handling of such requests.
Additional Career Paths
Working in a support role can provide some real insight into the roles and responsibilities of our colleagues in the Services we work with, which can often lead to an interest in pursuing a career in one of those Services. As an organisation, we have supported many of our Business Support staff to successfully move into professional roles in Legal, Child and Adult Social Care roles.
Why I Enjoy Working in Devon
Countywide Business Support – People Place and Corporate Service
The place to work
Think you know local government? Think again. Modern. Flexible. Inclusive. Find a job that makes a difference and contributes to your local community, and gives you the flexibility and support you need.