Assessment of need
If you are not able to travel by public transport or on a contract vehicle, and you still require support, your parent/carer will need to evidence that without assistance from Devon County Council you would not be able to get to school or college. Please talk to your education provider to establish what funding is available. Alternatively, call 0345 155 1019 and ask to speak to the transport team.
The transport team will ask a series of questions to ascertain why you or your parent/carer are not able to make the necessary travel arrangements and the minimal assistance required to remove transport as a barrier to you continuing in education. DCC recognises that some parents/carers of young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities may have difficulties meeting parental responsibilities in terms of transport. In these cases you should contact the transport team as early as possible to discuss any concerns in getting your child to/from school/college.
To be eligible for help:
- you must be over 16 and under 19 on 1 September
- you must live in the Devon local authority area NOT Torbay or Plymouth
- you must be attending a full-time further education (FE) course
- you must attend your nearest appropriate establishment
- the journey from home to the main school or college campus must be three miles or more.