What is SEND?
A local offer gives children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families information to help them find the right help and support in their area.
It has two main purposes:
- To provide clear, comprehensive and accessible information about the support and opportunities that are available.
- To make provision more responsive to local needs.
The Local Offer brings together information about education, health and care services, voluntary agencies, leisure activities and support groups in one place. It includes:
- Education – support in early years, schools and college, including transport.
- Health – specialist clinics, support and advice for children and young people with medical needs.
- Social care – support for personal care and practical assistance, short breaks and personal budgets.
- Transitions – moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood.
- Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) – the statutory EHCP process explained, including applying for a plan, transfers and reviews.
- Information, advice and support – where to get impartial and confidential information, advice and support.
It also allows children and young people with SEND, their families and service providers to get involved in reviewing and developing services and support in order to make the offer more responsive to local needs and aspirations.
The Local Offer must also show what feedback has been given and explain how improvements have, or will be, made to services.
We’ve also put together some advice for anyone that is new to SEND.
Have your say
The Local Offer is developed and reviewed in partnership with children and young people, parents/carers and local services, including early years settings, schools, colleges, health and social care agencies.
Find out more about how to get involved in shaping the Local Offer.
If you’d like to let us know what you think about the Local Offer and SEND support in Devon please send us your feedback.
Subscribe to our SEND newsletter to keep up-to-date with the latest news on SEND in Devon.