Devon County Council is committed to increasing community resilience in Devon. We are supported by DEFRA to deliver property flood resilience (PFR) measures.
Working closely with a number of partners, we aim to help individual property owners be better equipped with the tools and basic defence measures they need to be able to deal with flooding.
A PFR funding scheme has been established to enable homeowners to apply for up to £5,000 to carry out a property survey identifying the required resilience measures and to purchase the recommended measures. Any additional budget requirements will be at the expense of the property owner. Testimonials from residents who have installed PFR can be found on the BeFloodReady Youtube Channel
There is limited funding, with an allocation made available each year by DEFRA, Local Levy and Devon County Council. Applications will, therefore, be prioritised based on fixed criteria as set out in the PFR Funding Policy document. This is in order to maximize the number of properties benefiting from this opportunity and to ensure those properties with the greatest need will receive the funding.
If you believe you are eligible to apply for the funding, as detailed in the policy, you must first complete an Application form (also available in PDF format). Completed application forms should be submitted via email to email@example.com or posted to Flood & Coastal Risk Management, Room 120, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter EX2 4QD in order for your application to be considered.
We recommend anyone looking to make an application to also consider signing up for flood warnings from the Environment Agency.
See our PFR process for more information about how the full process works.
Important things to note:
- It is the responsibility of property owners to protect their home from flooding, this funding scheme aims to assist them.
- Funding will be allocated subject to the number and priority of applications received. Meeting the required criteria does not guarantee funding.
- All funding payments will be made to the survey consultant and product supplier for the specific individual property. No funding will be paid direct to the property owner or their representative/agent.
- This is a new initiative and may be subject to minor amendments as the scheme matures.
- When allocations are approved and confirmed our decision is final.
- The funding is for delivering PFR measures and for most applicants there are options that do not require planning permission. For very sensitive sites (i.e Listed Properties), where there are no alternatives, we will consider funding the cost of a planning application and initial documentation. Where this exceeds the current funding limit this may require the property owner to cover the additional costs, as per the criteria of this funding initiative.
- The Property Flood Resilience (PFR) Funding Scheme was previously the Property Level Resilience (PLR) Grant Scheme.
Last updated: September 2021