Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.

For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.

Guide: Supporting children with visual and sensory impairment

A CVI has been issued – what happens next?

The issuing of a Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) by a consultant in ophthalmology (eye doctor) formally confirms someone as either severely sight impaired or sight impaired.

The CVI also acts as a referral for a social care assessment. This assessment will be undertaken by the ROVIC Service.

Social care assessment – completing the registration process

After we have received a copy of the CVI from the consultant ophthalmologist we will contact you to arrange either a home visit, video or telephone call. Please allow around 90 minutes for this meeting. We need time to make sure we find out what support your child or young person might need from us.

Following our meeting with you we might, with your agreement:

  • make potential referrals to other specialist services
  • sign post you to local or national charities and organisations
  • make a potential referral to the Disabled Children’s Service and request a needs assessment

Local authority register for vision impairment

Under the Care Act 2014 all local authorities have a duty to keep a register of people issued with a CVI for their sight loss.

In Devon, the register for those under the age of 18 years is kept and maintained by the ROVIC Service. However, you can choose not to have your child’s name added to this register. If you have any questions or concerns about this please contact us.

Information about the Care Act 2014 can be found here.

A needs assessment

Children and young people with disabilities under 18 years old can ask for an assessment of all their needs.

The aim of a needs assessment is to find out the needs of both the child as well as their family and agree outcomes to help maintain or improve their wellbeing.

This can range from offering information and sign posting, to the arranging of services or support, including direct payments (personal budgets) to meet the identified needs.

The Disabled Children’s Service can undertake a child’s needs assessment. Find out more about accessing support from the Disabled Children’s Service.

Information pack

examples of information and contact numbers put into the pack given to families

A ROVIC information pack will be given during the home visit or hospital eye clinic appointment. If you need an additional or replacement pack please contact us.