During the coming weeks, we know that some schools and colleges are closing or partially closing, which will affect EHC assessments, EHCP reviews and provision in school during this time. All of our advice for schools and parents about Coronavirus and its impact on SEND is available here.
Devon Information Advice and Support (DiAS) also offer information about coronavirus, school, education and SEND.
Champions for Change
- Who are Devon's Champions for Change?
Anyone can be a Champion for Change! At the moment, we have a small group of young people who meet at our operations base in Tiverton – but your location doesn’t matter. If you want to be part of the Champions for Change network, get in touch. If your organisation can prove that it listens to, hears and understand children and young people with SEND, your organisation can be part of the network and you can join this exclusive list!
We are thinking about having meetings in different parts of Devon, so we can reach more people who can’t get to Tiverton – watch this space for more info…
Current members of the Champions for Change network
- Pathfield School, Barnstaple
- Southbrook School, Exeter
- Ellen Tinkham School, Exeter
- Lampard School, Barnstaple
- Bidwell Brook School, Dartington
- Pilton Community College Communication and Interaction Resource Base (CAIRB)
- How to join Champions for Change
Devon’s children and young people’s participation group is called ‘Champions for Change’. We are a group of young people with special educational needs and disabilities who believe that voices should be heard, not ignored: Listen, hear and understand.
We worked on a film project in 2018 which we hope will help children and young people with special needs understand their rights to have a voice and to be heard. We meet every half term at Tiverton Youth Centre, where we learn about what participation means and where we can have an impact. We hope to reach more young people with our film and enable them to become ‘Champions for Change’ too!
You have lots of choices:
- Come to our group – contact us to find out more.
- Tell us what is important to you as a young person with special educational needs or a disability.
- Talk to your school, college or youth service. Show them our video and ask them how they #ListenHearUnderstand – then send us their details and tell us what they say. You could receive a free pen or badge to prove you are a Champion for Change!
Text/Phone: 07890 595777
Film on Vimeo (password is champions) – some organisations don’t allow you to show YouTube videos.
Engagement Toolkit (new page) – lots of resources to help you develop engagement at an individual, organisational and strategic level.
The following resources are not definitive, just suggestions for how you could use the film across different key stages. Please feel free to adapt / reject / enhance these ideas using your professional skills and judgement. Click ‘edit in Word’ to print / view the documents properly.
If you have any suggestions or resources, please get in touch.
- Notes from our meetings
- Champions for Change – session notes from 31st January 2018
- Champions for Change – session notes from 5th March 2018
- Champions for Change – session notes from 2nd May 2018
From May 2018 – November 2018 we were making our film
- Champions for Change – session notes from 21st January 2019
- Champions for Change – session notes from 13th March 2019
Page updated 18/09/19 Subscribe for updates