For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information on the situation in Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice page.
A guide to scrutiny
The 4 principles of good scrutiny
1. Provides critical friend challenge to executive policy and decision makers
- Constructive, robust and purposeful challenge
- Non-aggressive to create optimum conditions for investigative evidence based process.
2. Enables the voice and concerns of the public
- Meetings conducted in public and are webcast
- Innovative public communication, consultation and feedback.
3. Carried out by independent minded councillors
- Councillors actively engage in the scrutiny function to drive improvement
- Areas are reviewed in an a-political atmosphere.
4. Drives improvement
- Promotes community well-being and improves the quality of life
- Strategic review of corporate policies, plans, performance and budgets.