These services may be experiencing disruption at this time. Please contact them directly to ensure they are still running.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information on the situation in Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice page.
A guide to scrutiny
The 4 principles of good scrutiny
1. Provides critical friend challenge to executive policy and decision makers
- Constructive, robust and purposeful challenge
- Non-aggressive to create optimum conditions for investigative evidence based process.
2. Enables the voice and concerns of the public
- Meetings conducted in public and are webcast
- Innovative public communication, consultation and feedback.
3. Carried out by independent minded councillors
- Councillors actively engage in the scrutiny function to drive improvement
- Areas are reviewed in an a-political atmosphere.
4. Drives improvement
- Promotes community well-being and improves the quality of life
- Strategic review of corporate policies, plans, performance and budgets.